Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Funday

Yesterday at around 3:30pm we had a huge blackout. Not only did our little city lose all power, but the entire county of San Diego stretching down to Baja CA, across to AZ, and up to Orange County... all lost power as well. With no explanation and no return of power in site we enjoyed a dinner of PB&J, fruit, and veggie sticks and sent the girls to bed early. The house was quickly heating up and at 80 degrees outside at 8pm it wasn't cooling off the 85* house very quickly. We eventually went to bed early which is something I haven't done in weeks and I definitely regretted not hanging on a bit longer when we were awakened by the power returning at 1:30am making it really hard for me to get back to sleep.

The entire county cancelled school today and the girls were in a funk this morning after not having slept well due to the heat and noises outside. I decided to make it a Friday Funday so I let them play a bit into school time and then they cleaned up and we played a few games together and then read library books for about 40 minutes instead of our usual 20. It was so much fun and something I'll definitely have to schedule from time to time.

I wanted to take a minute to highlight one of the books we read today which ended up being such a sweet story. It was a random library checkout that I knew nothing about, but both the girls and I ended up really liking the story and it led to a good discussion afterwards. The book was called Pete & Pickles by Berkeley Breathed and was a wonderful story of the adventures of a perfectly predictable pig and his new friend Pickles. Definitely a story worth checking out!

pete&pickles

No comments:

Post a Comment